Clint Edmonson, over at notsotrivial.net, has a great post about how to assess your developer team skills.
The short version, is characterised like this:
- Novice – “Just tell me what you want me to do.”
- Advanced Beginner – “I’m ready for my next task.”
- Competent – “I’ll have it done by the end of the day.”
- Proficient – “The XYZ pattern can solve that problem perfectly.”
- Expert (aka Master or Wizard) – “Did you need anything else?”
If you want to know where your developer’s skill level are at, I heartily recommend reading it.
And, since this is a Friday, it reminded me of this chart, back when I was working as a Computer Operator.
(click on the picture for a larger version)