This is the list I used when I finished up at my last job. Writing in blue shows what I did/what actually happened when I tried to complete the task. Might be handy for others.
- Performance appraisal feedback. Finish writing feedback for staff who have asked for it.
- Print out list of training courses I’ve been on.
- Business cards with my new contact details, to hand out to people.
I used ClickBusinessCards.com. See this blog post for the why.
- Remove all of my property from the workplace.
Was surprised that no-one asked about my 19″ LCD monitor I had on my desk, which went into the car boot.
- Clear clothes locker.
No, didn’t find any spare charge.
- Have security clearances revoked.
This can take time, so it’s better to start the process early.
Comment from supervisor: “They were all canceled when we lost the contract” No they weren’t.
- Delete Telephone Teleconference access.
The company didn’t have a process for this. “”Never had anyone want to do that before.”
- Delete Telephone Calling Card.
same as item 7.
- Hard reset of PDA to clear all work-related data.
And the subsequent re-add of friend’s details took quite a while 🙁
- Cancel cell/mobile phones
The cancellation didn’t go though until the following Tuesday.
- Cancel VPN token (Racal SecurID).
- Advise support groups that I am leaving and that accounts/passwords need to be revoked.
“Ummm, why do you need your XYZ account disabled?” Good security practice for a start.
- Send final email to co-workers, saying goodbye.
Could have done a better job of this 🙁
A UK based employee wrote this biting email.
- Secure format/wipe hard disk, and replace with original disk. Repeat process.
Darik’s Nuke and Boot worked well, but it takes hours.
I had my own hard disk in the laptop as I wanted more space.
- Remove password from laptop.
Laptop had a hard disk and bios boot password.
- Clear down Diners Card and return
I had a credit balance on my Diner’s, which I’m still waiting for Diner’s to refund.
Diner’s never did refund the money.
- Submit any outstanding expense reports.
- Claim any outstanding allowances.
Should have done this, but didn’t 🙁
- Return customer security passes and keys.
- Advise facilities to revoke all buildings access.
- Return staff id and building keys.
I miss some of the people, but not the employer.
“Don’t go along to get along; do your best and when you have to, and you will; leave and be something else.”