One of the cleverest hardware integration guys I know came up with this picture. It was created for a test Standard Operating Environment test release. And demonstrates what we do in SOE development.
A Standard Operating Environment (SOE) is basically creating the same “look and feel” for the customers PC fleet.
A SOE is created by*:
- Getting a standard operating system installation.
- Asking the customer what customisations they want.
- Implementing those customer requests.
- Giving the operating system installation to the customer, who undoubtedly asks for more customisations.
- Eventually we get to the stage where the customer is happy, and we can start installing the customised installation to the customer’s PC fleet.
* – well yes, this is a simplified list, and there are other things which are done as well.