The Windows 2000 recovery console enables an Administrator to gain access to a 2000 system from a command session to replace damaged files and to disable or enable services. When installed it adds an option to the Windows 2000 start menu.
To install perform the following:
- Boot into Windows 2000
- Insert the installation CD
- From a command prompt move to the I386 directory and type:
C:\> winnt32 /cmdcons
- A dialog will be displayed asking for confirmation. Click Yes.
- File will be copied to the computer and an extra item added to the boot menu.
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT=”Microsoft Windows 2000 Command Console” /cmdcons
- A completion message will be displayed. Click OK
Not sure where I borrowed these instructions from.
I have used the Recovery Console to recover systems, and have cursed the times when I’ve forgotten to add it to the start menu.