Back in April, I wrote two posts about fixing a broken WMI.  There was some thought that deleting the WMI Repository WAS A BAD THING.

Well maybe not…

Across 600+ computers, I learnt the following:

  • Not deleting the WMI Repository fixed about half of the computers.  In the computers which were fixed, the SMS client immediately sprung back into action.
  • On the other 300 computers, the WMI fix made NO difference.
    These were the cases where deleting the WMI Repository DID fix the problem.
    BUT the SMS client needed to be woken up by re-running an SMS advertisement on the PCs.

So in summary, for stubborn broken WMI problems, deleting the WMI Repository should resolve the issue, but will require you to do some extra work.

Bookmark and Share