There are people who do backups, and there are those who have not lost data yet.
I use the 3-2-1 Backup strategy, which is:
- 3 copies of anything I want to keep
- 2 different backup media types
- 1 (at least) offsite storage location
In practice, it looks like this:
Yes, it’s a bit complicated. If could be less complicated:
- if I used “the cloud” for my backup.
Cost / limited bandwidth rules that out.
(I backup 100’s of GB, so the cloud would get expensive fast).
- if I used Windows Home Server.
The backup software in WHS is image based.
Image based backups would use Terabytes of space.
To save space/cost, I’d need a file based backup.
My ideal solution? Something like a DROBO-like device, which has built in disk encryption.