I’m getting ready to deploy Office 2010 Service Pack 2 out to my customers desktop fleet. I’m going to journal the list of problems I find along the way.
Issue 1- Open File – Security Warning
I’m surprised that I’ve not stumbled across this issue before. It’s caused by the “Zone Identifer” feature. In short, if you download a file from the internet, you’ll probably see this warning. I’m running the SP2 install from a VBscript file, which is why I’m seeing it.
There are a couple of ways around this:
- Copy the file to a FAT formatted drive.
This causes the Zone Identifier flag to be stripped off.
- Change the SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS environment variable
As documented in Microsoft KB889815
- Don’t use VBscript “Use a command script”
Also from KB889815. Not an option for me unfortunately
- Use the Microsoft Sysinternals Streams utility to remove the Zone Identifier flag.
Bit of a brutal approach, particularly if you have other information stored in the alternative data streams.
- Use the ZoneStripper utility.
Next (potential) issue: "Error 1718. File was rejected by digital signature policy"