It’s been fun TRYING to implement Enterprise Mode
Some of the hurdles I’ve found so far:
- it’s a new technology which Microsoft is releasing ongoing bug fixes for.
- if you are going to use Microsoft Edge, your Sitelist MUST be hosted on a web server. You can’t use a UNC path (ie. file://)
- Microsoft Edge does not support webpages using vbscript, so you need to set a compatibility mode for that.
- F12 Developer Mode is inconsistent in how it detects/renders Enterprise mode.
- IF you are using the Group Policy setting “Display intranet sites in Compatibility View”, then you are getting Enterprise Mode + Compatibility View.
- Microsoft updated the XML schema so version 2 (Windows 10) is not backward compatible with Windows 7 or 8.1.
IE Enterprise Mode in a Nutshell
How to Detect Features Instead of Browsers
Internet Explorer 11’s Many User-Agent Strings
Compatibility View is used for Trusted sites in Internet Explorer 8
184.108.40.206 X-UA-Compatibility Meta Tag and HTTP Response Header
Should I Enable Enterprise Mode Through the Tools Menu or an XML File?