is now mostly legal. Mostly legal, as there are still times & places where you CAN’T filter.
You can’t filter:
- if you don’t have a FULL licence
- between traffic and an adjacent curb.
- between lines/lanes of traffic traveling in opposite directions
- in bicycle lanes
(or stationary in bicycle boxes for that matter)
- in special purpose lanes
- a no motorcycle lane filtering sign applies to the length of road
- where it is not safe
- at speeds greater than 30km/h
But don’t accept my opinion on the subject, do go read the following:
- Road Safety Road Rules 2009 – Reg 151A – Lane filtering at excessive speed
- Road Safety Road Rules 2009 – Reg 151B – Circumstances in which a motor cycle rider may engage in lane filtering
- VicRoads – Motorcycle filtering
- ABC News: Victorian motorcyclists legally allowed to weave through traffic under changed laws
Lane splitting / Mobile chicaning is still illegal.