Instead, it was loaned to NASA with the rest of the spares inventory.
Some of the other interesting facts from the video:
- $600 Million of spares disposed between September – November 2007
- 31321 line items, 27502 were SR-71 unique items. 3834 could be re-used.
- SR-71 assets had fictitious part and stock numbers.
The stock numbers all began with Federal Stock Class prefix 8820P “Live Animals, Not Raised for Food”
- The SR-71 tooling hadn’t been cut-up in the 1960’s, it was in the spares inventory. It was shipped to AMARC for disposal.
- 14 J-58 engines were also shipped to AMARC for destruction.